Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Legion of Honor Art Museum









Yesterday I went to the Legion of Honor Art Museum in San Francisco. The entrance of the Museum looks very grand. It looks like a very old Roman building.




This is a statue inside the front entrance of the museum. It is called The Thinker, by Auguste Rodin. It was originally in Paris, but now there over 20 copies of it around the world. The Thinker usually stands for philosophy.







This is my favorite piece of art in the whole museum. I like it because it looks peaceful, and it has many warm colors. This painting is by Jacob van Hulsdonck, and it is called Still Life with Fruit and Flowers.





This is a a Chinese pagoda made of delicate porcelain. They seem like they were supposed to be fountains because of the open-mouthed fish near the top. The two pagodas seem very smooth. That is probably because they were left outside to weather until the porcelain was smooth.









This is a delicate collection of china made in the Jing De Zhen city of China. Jing De Zhen is famous as the "chinaware capital of China". About 2,000 years ago, there were pottery kilns built there. The town was named after Jing De, one of the Song Dynasty emperors.







This is me, sitting on a memorial of a Japanese ship. It's sort of strange how the words on the memorial are Chinese, not Japanese.

Sadly, my visit to the museum had to end. I hope I can visit some other time.

No comments: