Sunday, August 24, 2008

Dreams

One night, I had a wild dream. As I tipped my head onto my pillow, I fell fast asleep. In the blink of an eye, I was free falling into an oversized chair on a balcony. A telescope was right in front of it, like an astronomer’s house. Being the curious kind of person, I stared into the telescope and peered into space. I saw a round ball of clay like the moon, only it looked like it had been bitten by huge mice. Just as that thought popped into my mind, a huge rat made its way on top of the clay. Then, he started gnawing at something invisible, perhaps something supernatural. I focused the telescope until I saw what it was: a thin strand that looked like hair. I rubbed my eyes twice to make sure I wasn’t seeing things. Nope, I wasn’t. This was for real. If that rat kept gnawing, the moon might fall onto the earth.
I looked the other way, and I saw a planet on fire. It looked just like earth, but its waters were dried up. People ran around, screaming. Heavy fog covered the air. At least I thought it was fog. Then, I figured out that it was smog. People were falling off the planet and into the bottomless pit of darkness. In the midst of all that chaos, I saw a fairy, beckoning for someone. People just walked through her. I finally realized she was pointing at me, so I got out of the comfortable chair, and swam through the air to see what she wanted. When I got there, heavy sweat had covered me, for it was a sweltering 122 degrees. She was wearing a crown of leaves and had a green dress. She looked exactly like a fairy in fairy tales. I could tell that she had been crying. She cried out in alien, “Help! This is what earth will become if you humans don’t take care of it!” I don’t know how I understood it. I woke up in my bed. I had really been sweating because I was covered with a thick wintertime blanket.
This dream taught an important lesson: don’t take what you have for granted; instead, cherish it.

No comments: